Author

Indy

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:41:45 am

Indy
Site Admin

Got word of an announcement for IND due 1/31/06. Will post here when it comes in.

Edit: Subject change to SFO & LAX

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Indy

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 06:25:34 am

Indy
Site Admin

According to local news AirTran & Peyton Manning will be making the announcement today of two new destinations. More later today.

Boofer

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:33:16 am

Boofer
Site Admin

I'm going to call DFW and LAS. Any other predictions?

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 03:39:54 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Those would have been #1 on my list as well. And we both would have been wrong.

Official AirTran Press Release

AirTran Airways Announces New Service From Indianapolis to Los Angeles and San Francisco

Peyton Manning, Mayor Bart Peterson Celebrate With Make-A-Wish Foundation; Manning Crowns Indy's First Ultimate Armchair Quarterback

ORLANDO, Fla., Jan. 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today announced the airline will expand its route network from Indianapolis International Airport with new daily nonstop flights to Los Angeles International Airport and San Francisco International Airport.

As part of the new service to California, AirTran Airways will begin one daily nonstop flight between Indianapolis and Los Angeles on May 9, 2006, and will add an additional flight on June 20, 2006. The airline will begin one daily nonstop flight between Indianapolis and San Francisco on June 7, 2006. These flights will be served by the airline's popular all-new Boeing 737 aircraft.

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and local kids from the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Indianapolis were on hand at the Indianapolis International Airport to reveal AirTran Airways' new destinations to an enthusiastic crowd. Manning helped kick off the celebration by taking part in the first-ever "Ultimate Armchair Quarterback," where two lucky fans competed for a chance to win AirTran Airways tickets for travel to any AirTran Airways destination.

"With AirTran Airways' new destinations to California and low fares available for Indianapolis travelers, everyone wins," said Peyton Manning, Indianapolis quarterback. "I'm delighted to be here to help AirTran Airways celebrate its expansion with Indianapolis' very own winning team - AirTran Airways, Mayor Peterson and Make-A-Wish Foundation."

"With AirTran Airways' decision to expand its service from Indianapolis to other prime markets, both the city and air travelers from throughout the region will benefit," said Mayor Peterson. "AirTran Airways has become a valued presence at Indianapolis International Airport and with this latest expansion, the airline is helping us build a reputation as one of the lowest cost, most convenient airports in the country. We look forward to continuing our close relationship with AirTran Airways."

By late-June 2006, the airline will operate 15 daily departures from Indianapolis to eight nonstop destinations.

"These new flights are evidence of AirTran Airways' commitment to Indianapolis travelers, our confidence in the Indianapolis International Airport and our desire to expand our presence in Indianapolis," said Joe Leonard, Chairman and CEO of AirTran Airways. "Our expansion to Los Angeles and San Francisco builds on our unique blend of low fare, high quality service between key business and leisure markets."

"Over the past year, our customers at Indianapolis International Airport have embraced AirTran Airways because it offers low-cost, convenient and high- quality service," stated Patrick Dooley, Indianapolis International Airport director. "By choosing to grow its business here, AirTran Airways once again is demonstrating its confidence in the Indianapolis market and its commitment to air travelers throughout Central Indiana."

AirTran Airways will add the following daily nonstop flights to/from Los Angeles:

Nonstop Service from Indianapolis

To Departs Arrives Effective Date
Los Angeles 8:00 a.m. 9:25 a.m. May 9, 2006
Los Angeles 7:00 p.m. 8:15 p.m. June 20, 2006

Nonstop Service to Indianapolis

From Departs Arrives Effective Date
Los Angeles 12:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m. May 9, 2006
Los Angeles 8:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m. June 20, 2006

AirTran Airways will add the following daily nonstop flights to/from San Francisco:

Nonstop Service from Indianapolis

To Departs Arrives Effective Date
San Francisco 9:25 a.m. 11:00 a.m. June 7, 2006

Nonstop Service to Indianapolis

From Departs Arrives Effective Date
San Francisco 11:50 a.m. 7:00 p.m. June 7, 2006

AirTran Airways, one of America's largest low-fare airlines with 7,000 friendly, professional Crew Members, operates over 600 daily flights to 50 destinations. The airline's hub is at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, where it is the second largest carrier. AirTran Airways recently added the fuel-efficient Boeing 737-700 aircraft to create America's youngest all-Boeing fleet. The airline is also the first carrier to install XM Satellite Radio on a commercial aircraft. For reservations or more information, visit http://www.airtran.com/ (America Online Keyword: AirTran).

Media Contacts: Tad Hutcheson
tad.hutcheson@airtran.com

Judy Graham-Weaver
judy.graham-weaver@airtran.com

First Call Analyst:
FCMN Contact: Chandra.mclean@airtran.com

SOURCE: AirTran Airways

CONTACT: Tad Hutcheson, +1-678-254-7442, or tad.hutcheson@airtran.com,
or Judy Graham-Weaver, +1-678-254-7448, or judy.graham-weaver@airtran.com

Web site: http://www.airtran.com/

Source: http://airtran.mediaroom.com/i...s=press_releases&item=1107

Indy

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 04:28:38 pm

Indy
Site Admin

BTW if you check the AirTran route map in airtran.com and look at flights from TPA, MCO and even ATL you will see that a few now connect in IND before heading to SFO and LAX.

Boofer

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:50:38 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Good news, even if it wasn't the cities I predicted.

And interesting on the IND connections. TPA and MCO connect to LAX; ATL connect to both LAX and SFO. Of course, I can't imagine why anyone flying from ATL to LAX or SFO would want to connect in IND. Likewise MCO as there's a nonstop flight to just about everywhere from MCO. TPA maybe - but my question in all three cases is this:

Obviously these are continuing flights, rather than connections. The 737-900s will originate at ATL, MCO, TPA and continue on to LAX and/or SFO. So does this mean that the planes will be partly full when the arrive, and the seats may be limited out of IND? If so, is this a way of adding this service while being able to back up the risk of low loads by selling some "through" seats? Just curious.

stlgph

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:59:05 pm

I'm guessing the ability of through connections will be possible.

One, because it's just common sense, the way I see it.

And two, when booking at AirTran's website, it generally is cheaper for you to book to most destinations with a stop or a connection than if you book nonstop. I am sure the leisure traveler or the business traveler with extra time and aiming for watching the travel budget will notice this and adhere anyway.

My two guesses for new destinations would have been Las Vegas and yes, I probably would have said Los Angeles. My other guess would have been Seattle but that's too new as of yet to add service from one of their spoke cities.

I am still surprised Las Vegas has yet to be announced, but perhaps we shall see.

Indy

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 09:35:41 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I don't think these are continuation flights. There are no 737's of FL coming to IND right now. These will be the first. I checked the July schedules and these are still the only 737's. There are no other 737's listed to IND. I could see if there was a 737 from ATL, TPA or MCO but there isn't. The low flight numbers like 1-99 and 100-200 seem to be the 737's while 300-399 and 400-499 seem to be the 717's.

Boofer

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:03:50 am

Boofer
Site Admin

From today's IBJ Daily email, if you care...

AirTran Airways Expands Indianapolis Service to The West Coast
AirTran Airways is today launching new nonstop daily service from Indianapolis International Airport to Los Angeles. In June, the airline will also add nonstop service from Indianapolis to San Francisco and will add another flight to Los Angeles

Indy

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 03:35:16 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I was outside last evening around 8pm and saw the AirTran 737 coming in to position itself for the Tuesday morning departure to LAX. It was cool. My first FL 737. Very Happy

Boofer

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 08:00:15 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but now it's time for a little SEA and PDX love from FL...

Indy

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:01:58 pm

Indy
Site Admin

BTW congrats on post # 1000.

SEA would be nice but I'm sure NW could go year round if FL even tried it. I checked Fare Measure and I was shocked at how few people actually fly IND to PDX. Though the lack of a nonstop may be killing that route.

stlgph

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 05:21:54 pm

When did this service end?

ATAIndy

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 08:12:04 pm

ATAIndy

Indy

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 09:11:55 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Apparently they are going to treat it as seasonal because if you go late into their schedule both SFO and LAX come back to full service.

stlgph

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:15:53 pm

I hope so.

It'd be great to see Air Tran go up to 25 or 30 flights daily from Indianapolis, with most of them year around instead of this seasonal crap.

Indy

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:03:37 am

Indy
Site Admin

Do they have the jets to support the network they are trying to build? I mean they have the big hub in ATL and the bigger ops in Baltimore and now the ones under construction in Indianapolis and Chicago.

ATAIndy

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 03:44:39 pm

ATAIndy

I don't understand the build up of two cities close to each other. Last time this happened was with TZ, and as you know, we lost.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Indy

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 05:39:16 pm

Indy
Site Admin

But unlike the last time AirTran has no space to work with. We are getting a new airport in 2 years that will have plenty of gates for them to work with if needed. It has 6 more gates than we have now and 20 additional could be added to the terminal if needed. MDW has no room for growth. Before ATA had plenty of gates at MDW.

Boofer

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 09:29:38 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

And remember when TZ went Tango Uniform, Airtran were the ones that bitched about the deal with Southwest and tried to snag TZ out of bankruptcy - mainly for the MDW gates.

Forum Index  >  AirTran  >  AirTran Adds SFO and LAX from IND

Pages(s):  1