Author

Indy

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:49:34 am

Indy
Site Admin

Saw this posted at airliners.net

Midwest will also place its code on Northwest flights from Indianapolis, a Northwest focus city.

airliners.net

Source of news: yahoo.com

I wonder how this will impact NW numbers out of IND. Also will they offer YX connections with NW?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Paintrain

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 01:01:09 am

it makes sense to me how many destionations are served out of indy but not out of mke

Boofer

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 02:59:32 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

MKE used to be a heavy NW focus city. But now it's a shell of what it used to be.

I think what this is about is NW and YX both teaming up to compete against FL in IND. They want to both protect what they have, because they see FL ramping up service here.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 03:40:39 pm

Indy
Site Admin

My opinion is that FL is done ramping up service here. I think we have seen the end of growth. In fact FL hasn't posted a single job ad in about 5 months. While NW has posted 5 in a two week period.

Boofer

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:37:43 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I will agree with you if the scarcity of FL job ads continues after the YX takeover is settled one way or another.

wanderer

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:04:43 pm

I highly doubt IND will see a lot of connection traffic due to the code share. With just four flights a day from MKE to IND, and some of those now being flown on Beech 1900s, there's just not enough lift to give the codeshare any merit.

Job ads do not mean growth. It means TURNOVER in a very difficult market to hire (it is difficult to compete with FedEx for FL and NW for part time employees).

Boofer

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:55:17 am

Boofer
Site Admin

wanderer wrote:

I highly doubt IND will see a lot of connection traffic due to the code share. With just four flights a day from MKE to IND, and some of those now being flown on Beech 1900s, there's just not enough lift to give the codeshare any merit.

I agree, actually. Faremeasure says 94 daily pax IND-MKE, the 41st most popular destination from here. Definitely not enough to support much more o&d traffic. Connecting pax on NW might add a smidge to those numbers, but most of the nonstop NW destinations at IND are also served nonstop to MKE on YX or other airlines. That's why I think it's a competitive thing for YX and NW, trying to fend off FL's foray into the midwest part of the country.

wanderer wrote:

Job ads do not mean growth. It means TURNOVER in a very difficult market to hire (it is difficult to compete with FedEx for FL and NW for part time employees).

Possibly the job ads are for some turnover to FedEx, but not for flight attendants, gate agents, or ticket agents. FedEx doesn't have those kinds of positions. I suppose luggage handlers at NW or FL might be suited to crew positions over at FedEx, but I doubt their union mentality lets a lot of them see it that way.

Indy

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 05:22:53 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I could honestly see airlines having a problem losing people to FX. I can't speak from experience but I understand FX is a great place to work. That isn't something you hear often on the passenger side with the exception of Southwest Airlines.

Indy

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:48:20 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Northwest Airlines and Midwest Airlines will begin a combined services agreement for tickets purchased starting on Nov. 3 and travel starting Nov. 17.

The "codesharing" agreement allows Northwest and Midwest flights to share the same code in reservation systems and airport flight displays.

Source: CNNMoney.com
Source URL: http://money.cnn.com/news/news.../articles/apwire/D8RL76580.htm

Finally. Too bad it couldn't have been done a bit sooner though. I could have used my Midwest vouchers on a NW flight.

Indy

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 04:10:17 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Here it is the 5th and I can't find any evidence that the codesharing has started.

ATAIndy

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 09:58:45 pm

ATAIndy

I took a look myself and also found nothing hinting at a code share.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

rw175

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:11:58 am

Why bother when soon enough all Midwest flights will be Northwest Airlines operated by Midwest Airlines. Laughing

Fly RW

Indy

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 03:42:57 pm

Indy
Site Admin

But NW is a passive investor. Isn't that kind of how it worked when Southwest picked up part of ATA? Southwest was supposed to be the savior for ATA. BTW whatever happened to ATA? Smile

Indy

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 06:33:46 pm

Indy
Site Admin

The codeshare is alive and kicking. But it is a one sided deal so far. You can book flights out of IND on NW through Midwest only. They appear to offer no connections in IND. Meaning you aren't going to get MKE-IND on YX and then IND-MCO in NW. You can book any of the nonstop NW flights offered out of IND on the Midwest website.

Seems kind of silly that I can't book IND-MKE flying YX metal on nwa.com.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:21:38 am

Boofer
Site Admin

Could be just IT/operational issues and they'll get the fuller codeshares up soon. Or it could be a regulatory thing, the FAA/FTC not allowing deeper sharing (but I seriously doubt it). Perhaps it's a union contract thing - some airlines' labor contracts have held up, altered, or totally scuttled certain codesharing deals in the past. For example, this is why NW used to fly the CRJs with only 44 seats - 'cause their contract with the ALPA wouldn't let them use the regional airlines (and lower-paid pilots) on flights with 45+ seats.

Forum Index  >  Northwest/KLM  >  NW/YX Codeshare at IND

Pages(s):  1