Author

Boofer

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 09:54:32 am

Boofer
Site Admin

http://www.airportbusiness.com....jsp?siteSection=1&id=8365

NW is to order 36 each of the CRJ700 and Embraer 175's. These are all configured with up to 76 seats, as the new NW contract with the mainline pilots allows them to fly 77 or more pax planes (the original contract required mainline pilots be used to fly planes with 49 pax or more, which is why you still see some CRJ's with that weird curved platform in front of seats 2 C&D). The 36 Embraers are going to Compass, which is the new regional subsidiary to be wholly owned by NW. Compass, Mesaba, and Pinnacle will then compete over the 36 CRJ's. The article also goes on to suggest that some of these aircraft will replace thin Midwestern routes currently serviced by mainline DC-9's.

What's intersting to think about is how this might affect Indy. Might we see service to some other midsized cities a couple of times a day? Places like DSM and OMA? Maybe STL comes back? Or maybe we see some of these a/c used for other routes that might be too thin for Airbi. Perhaps IND-SAN or IND-PDX? Or perhaps we could see more frequency added to routes like IND-RDU?

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 01:53:12 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Honestly I don't think we'll ever see STL again for NW. I think AUS might be a better bet for a return.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

wanderer

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 08:07:52 pm

From what i heard, the STL flight was a dog.

We will see A LOT of these planes in IND. Some will replace DC-9s, some will replace CRJs - and hoepfully some new destinations.

It will be interesting to see who is awarded the CRJ900 flying (Pinnacle, Mesaba or some other entity entirely.

Mesaba: on the brink of liquidation, but will probably have some 11th hour deal brokered. If this happens...I am thinking Mesaba will get them.

Pinnacle: having a tough time getting their pilot deal done. If they were to get the deal done, they could even potentially pick up some of Comair's flying (if DL dumps them).

Boofer

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 03:52:36 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I'd probably agree with wanderer on who gets the planes. Keep in mind the role that relationships/inside politics might play, though. NW has had a deep relationship with Mesaba for a heck of a long time. (And as for DL/Comair - the same goes for them, and DL actually owns Comair).

On another note, though. I wonder why IND-STL is such a poorly yielding flight? It's a little further to drive from Indy than Chicago is. But maybe because Chicago traffic is so much tougher there are more people who choose to fly IND-Chicago than IND-STL? According to faremeasure, IND-CHI o&d is nearly 10 times that of IND-STL. Curious.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 05:26:43 pm

Indy
Site Admin

NW never gave IND-STL a chance. They didn't keep it but something like 10 days to two weeks. Also they screwed people on the ticket prices. I mean $600+ on a short RJ flight is nonsense. That is why you saw at best 10 people per flight. Who is going to pay that kind of money? Just poor pricing on the part of NW. That route never had a chance.

ATAIndy

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 08:45:33 pm

ATAIndy

Well, AA already had serivce on that route (and they still do), plus many people would opt to just take 70 west, even if it does take a little longer. NW's service was just too much capacity, I don't think it will come back.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Indy

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 09:12:41 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Speaking of NW routes I had a NW rep the other day tell me that NW was going to be starting new destinations from here after the start of the new year. Anyone heard anything about this? Wanderer do you know anything about rumors of new routes? The person couldn't remember the destinations but said it wasn't related to the Florida expansion and the additional LGA flight.

wanderer

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 09:42:05 pm

I haven't heard of anything. If I hear anything...I will let you guys know!

Your NW rep...is it a local sales contact?

Indy

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 09:44:02 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Not it isn't. You know I had a name of a rep once. They contact me by mistake. I thought it was odd when someone from NW called my home lol.

Forum Index  >  Northwest/KLM  >  Northwest to Order 72 Regional Jets

Pages(s):  1