Author

7E72004

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:27:41 am

AirTran Reporter

I am now officially boycotting Northwest airlines. The comments that they made in their "101 tips..." was an absolute disgrace and offensive to a lot of people. It is ridiculous that they would print something like that. They can apologize all they want but i see now how they treat their employees. I will no longer be flying northwest.

Indy

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 02:33:39 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I haven't heard about this. Do you have the list or anything? I'd be interested in reading it.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

7E72004

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 02:37:20 pm

AirTran Reporter

I didn't have the copy itself but a quote of a couple of things they said (however i erased it Sad ) They pretty much said, that "if you see something you like in the trash, then go get it." On a date, just go for a walk in the woods. Very demeaning.

wanderer

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 08:39:21 am

Here is the article that appeared on Rueters:

Northwest advised workers to see treasure in trash
NEW YORK, Aug 15 (Reuters) - Bankrupt Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWACQ.PK: Quote, Profile, Research) advised workers to fish in the trash for things they like or take their dates for a walk in the woods in a move to help workers facing the ax to save money.

The No. 5 U.S. carrier, which has slashed most employees' pay and is looking to cut jobs as it prepares to exit bankruptcy, put the tips in a booklet handed out to about 50 workers and posted for a time on its employee Web site.

The section, entitled "101 ways to save money", does not feature in new versions of the booklet or the Web site.

Northwest spokesman Roman Blahoski said some employees who received the handbook had taken issue with a couple of the items. "We agree that some of these suggestions and tips ... were a bit insensitive," Blahoski told Reuters.

The four-page booklet, "Preparing for a Financial Setback" contained suggestions such as shopping in thrift stores, taking "a date for a walk along the beach or in the woods" and not being "shy about pulling something you like out of the trash."

The booklet was part of a 150-page packet to ground workers, such as baggage handlers, whose jobs will likely be cut after their union agreed to allow the airline to outsource some of their work, Blahoski said.

Prepared with the help of an outside company, the booklet encourages employees to manage their money better and prepare for financial emergencies.

"If you have saved some money, pat yourself on the back -- you deserve it," the booklet reads. "Take out only what you need and spend prudently."

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved

As it says, this was part of a 150-page packet.

I spoke with some people who have seen the whole packet, and they have told me that they are suprised how well it was put together. Unfortunately, NW management has stated that they did not review this part of the packet. DUMB move.

The reality is that a lot the employees facing layoff in these smaller stations have had very little or no experience outside of the airline industry. With 15-25 years of service, they have never had to write a resume or interview for a job. The 150-page packet helps them with that...and NW has also hired a company to give a seminar for these employees to help them with the resume writing and interviewing process.

If you have followed NW news and happenings for as long as I have (they can be a ruthless business competitor), I am actually suprised at the compassion the company has shown...minus the "101 tips".

stlgph

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 04:54:34 pm

Well, sometimes the truth hurts and that's just the way it is. I say kudos for whoever published the list and made the decision to send it out amongst the employees.

Better to be honest than to sugar coat a very possible inevitable.

Sorry kittens.

Forum Index  >  Northwest/KLM  >  Northwest dumpster diving remarks

Pages(s):  1