Author

stlgph

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:41:58 pm

At this point and time, Atlanta doesn't need a second airport. Delta won't go there, AirTran will stay where Delta is, and Delta will keep Northwest and Continental at their side.

Plus a second airport wouldn't be located close enough to the downtown area.

Boofer

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:18:18 am

Boofer
Site Admin

The three closest airports to ATL with scheduled service are Columbus, GA (CSG - 96 miles southwest), Macon (MCN - 92 miles southeast), and Athens (AHN - 84 miles east). There is also a general aviation airport, Fulton County Brown Field, about 14 miles north of ATL, and, ironically, in Gwinett County I think.

I believe the reason there's not a second main airport in ATL is threefold:

One, the ATL airport property is so massive as to have allowed nearly limitless expansion of runways and terminals. They now have five parallel runways and 6 passenger concourses. It's the busiest airport in the world, and for good reason. Why would the governments build a second entire airport when they had room to (relatively) easily expand this one?

Two, the present location of ATL was chosen some time ago as THE airport location. Most cities with alternate airports never closed the "old" airport when the new one opened. Like Chicago - where MDW was never closed when ORD opened, and Dallas - where Love Field never closed when DFW opened. Denver smarlty closed down Stapleton airport when they opened the new DIA a decade ago - since they'd put there money into building a new airport, they didn't need the old one being resurrected years later to compete.

Three, other cities with multiple airports got that way based on competing political jurisdictions. The New York airports happened that way - EWR was in Jersey (and was a real backwater until about 15 years ago, btw), and the NJ interests wanted to keep it open. Also as above - when JFK opened, they didn't close LGA. Even though all three airports are managed by the Port Authority of NY/NJ, political interests wouldn't allow for consolidation into one airport. Still - if you took all the capacity at EWR, LGA, and JFK, it would exceed the capacity at ATL. Another example - the Washington, DC airports. If you just consider IAD and DCA - the federal government wouldn't allow DCA to be shut when IAD opened in Virginia. Back in the 80's, there was still a parking lot with all the spaces reserved for members of Congress. And in a place like Los Angeles, LAX is controlled by the city, but Ontario is controlled by Orange County - this would be akin to Hamilton County developing their own airport up in Noblesville or something.

And finally, there is not and will never be, an alternate airport in the northern suburbs of Atlanta. That's where the wealthy suburbs are, and they will never allow one to be built. They managed to stop the light-rail line from coming north (allegedly because they didn't want the riff-raff from the city coming up to their lilly-white community), so they sure as heck ain't gonna let an airport get built up there.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

7E72004

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 08:58:49 am

AirTran Reporter

To be honest, i don't think ATL is that bad of an airport. Anytime i have flown through there, i have had delays of no more than 45 minutes, which has occurred only once. And with the ability to land more than one aircraft at a time, i think that helps as well. The talk about a second airport for atlanta reminds me of the talk of Peotone in Ill. Laughing

Boofer

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 02:25:15 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

But of course, land acquisition and initial site design for the Peotone airport has already begun. They're going to build something big there, even if it ends up not being an airport.

Paintrain

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 06:08:48 pm

but chicago has gyy there and i think that makes the most sense especially if they get jet blue there

i think atl can support another airport if they get jet blue and swa onbored before they build it and maybe a few other airlines

Boofer

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:23:51 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

JetBlue's never going to operate from GYY. Gary is more like Orlando/Sanford or Detroit City airport than a true alternate airport. While I too think it makes more sense to develop GYY than to build at Peotone, Gary is still seen by most as a dirty, crime-ridden area, and nobody except the most price-sensitive leisure travelers would ever patronize GYY. The best they can hope for is a leisure airport filled up by the likes of Allegiant, Spirit, USA3000 and public charter carriers.

Now having said that, if Laporte County gets the Norfolk Southern rail to truck intermodal hub, it's possible that GYY could beef up its use as a cargo airport.

7E72004

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:11:40 am

AirTran Reporter

I have to agree...GYY is not an airport of choice for many travelers. Even though the parking is free, i would not trust my car up there, even for the day. And then i would not trust it with any evening/night flights.

7E72004

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 02:37:07 pm

AirTran Reporter

Has there ever been a "legend airline" that served GYY before?

7E72004

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 02:38:02 pm

AirTran Reporter

p.s. When is AirTran going to start IND-MDW and IND-BWI service??? *lol*

ATAIndy

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 04:17:47 pm

ATAIndy

7E72004 wrote:

Has there ever been a "legend airline" that served GYY before?

I'd imagine that before deregulation the CAB had airlines flying there.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Paintrain

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 09:59:57 pm

im shocked bwi hasnt started yet because indy is a great connection for the california destionations

Indy

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:21:53 pm

Indy
Site Admin

There are two destinations which I can't believe haven't started yet. BWI and DCA. I know AirTran tried for DCA but couldn't get the slots. But you'd think BWI would come. This would help them justify the LAX and SFO routes. There are really a few westerly routes I could see them adding. LAX and DFW. Ok maybe DFW isn't really westerly but it is much further was than ATL and the Florida markets. If they were to start service to places like BWI, DCA and BOS it would give them good connections to Florida and the western destinations. It would help fill those jets.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

stlgph

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 01:34:30 am

I wonder if they could make a go of Indianapolis to Baltimore. It is possible, I guess.

I bet AirTran could definitely find the business to Las Vegas and possibly Phoenix.

Forum Index  >  AirTran  >  is aitran going to ever expand to more western destionations

Pages(s):        2