Author

Indy

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 02:01:47 pm

Indy
Site Admin

AirTran has submitted an application to the DOT for 2 slots left vacant by Spirit Airlines. The intent is to provide service between IND & DCA using the boeing 717 aircraft. I'll post an update on this when the application gets updated.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf95/390316_web.pdf

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Indy

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 02:09:06 pm

Indy
Site Admin

If you wish to track the official AirTran application...

http://dms.dot.gov/search/docu...entid=390316&docketid=7182

stlgph

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 09:06:36 pm

Very interesting indeed and if this goes through could drastically change Indianapolis' role in the AirTran network.

So, I took three minutes to write this and addressed this to everyone with FAA.GOV or MWAA.COM at the end of their email address.

As a resident of the State of Indiana, I hereby ask for the FAA and MWAA's support of AirTran's slot request in order to provide service between Washington National and Indianapolis and Chicago's Midway Airport.

In less than one year, AirTran has proven itself to be an important player in the current commerce and as a key future player for Indianapolis International Airport. AirTran began services in April of 2005 and since then has gone from four daily flights to fifteen daily flights in less than one year. The reception and growth of the airline has been phenomenal.

In the future, as AirTran continues to grow their route network, there is no doubt that Indianapolis could become a potential player in a destination to help anchor this growth outside of its operations in Atlanta and Orlando. With Indianapolis in the process of building one of the most premiere airports in the nation, it is important to lay a solid foundation down to ensure its success as a world class airport with world class service with an air carrier that is willing to go above and beyond to pvoe it wants to become a part of the Indianapolis and State of Indiana community.

Good day and regards-

Indy

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:27:45 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Very nice job Smile

BTW in what way do you think it would change IND's part in the AirTran network?

stlgph

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 03:54:54 am

It'll establish a focal point to connect their largest west coast and largest east coast markets outside of Atlanta, similar to US Airways back in the early 1990's.

Indy

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:18:40 am

Indy
Site Admin

Comair has file an objection to AirTran's application.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p84/391587.pdf

Boofer

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 04:47:36 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Their objection seems pretty solid. I would doubt the application gets approved. I kind of agree with them, too - do we really need more IND-DCA nonstop service? We've already got NW and US flying there. I'd rather see Airtran offer another option to MCI or take us to JAX, MSY, BNA, or AUS.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 05:01:08 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Boofer wrote:

Their objection seems pretty solid. I would doubt the application gets approved. I kind of agree with them, too - do we really need more IND-DCA nonstop service? We've already got NW and US flying there. I'd rather see Airtran offer another option to MCI or take us to JAX, MSY, BNA, or AUS.

I'm with you. I don't see it getting approved. MCI? Probably not. Between WN and NW there are 5 nonstops to that city. The other locations you mention are probably better bets. Also what about San Diego?

Boofer

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 09:58:23 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Totally. From the list you posted of the top destinations ex-IND, PDX and SAN were the two that we didn't have service to. And if MCI can have n/s SAN service, then we should to!

Indy

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 01:29:24 pm

Indy
Site Admin

BTW the next time a route application like this comes up we should do what the people of South Florida did and spam the DOT with letters. They basically spammed a form letter requesting approval of the route down there.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 02:39:36 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Why wait until there's an application filed? You could use this website to start a groundswell of support/pressure for flights to new destinations. Why not start an emailing campaign to NW or Airtran to start service to PDX and SAN? Why not start a campaign to get JetBlue in here? Or to get a flight to LON, AMS, CDG, or FRA? Restart service to AUS? Get WN to resume nonstops to MSY? You can do it!

Indy

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 06:14:09 pm

Indy
Site Admin

If the site had a larger user base I could. But right now the use is very limited. I could advertise the site with Google to get more traffic. Once we have a larger base we can approach airlines. If I had the authority to do so I'd offer an airline tax incentives and realestate downtown to expand their operation here. I'd like to see a single carrier offer 30+ nonstop destinations.

Indy

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 09:06:08 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Still no answer from the DOT on this application.

Indy

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:30:00 pm

Indy
Site Admin

AirTran has been officially denied its application. By reading the ruling it appears that it was not only not in the ballgame but it was a joke. So thats it. IND-DCA on FL is dead.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf96/401343_web.pdf

Forum Index  >  AirTran  >  AirTran Applies for IND-DCA Service

Pages(s):  1