Author

Indy

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 05:50:42 pm

Indy
Site Admin

What do you guys think? Will the NW/DL (assuming it happens) merger be good for bad for IND? In my opinion it will be a complete coin toss. CVG is obviously going to lose hub status. It is 229 miles from DTW. If the argument is that IND is too close to DTW (231 miles) to support a larger operation then obviously CVG is doomed. But what about IND?

US and HP merged. Nothing really changed at IND. HP moved over to the D concourse and that was really the bulk of the changes. Nothing changed in regards to flight schedules. If DL and NW were to merge and no schedules changed the combined summer schedule would be approximately 60 flights per day. My guess is that if CVG loses the hub status that IND-CVG will be dropped. Will the combined airline take IND to hub only flying with service to MSP, DTW and ATL only (maybe MEM if it stays open)? Will they keep the focus city and perhaps use some of the regional jets that used to operate out of CVG to fill in the gaps with service to places like MSY, DFW, SAN, etc?

Depending on which route the new carrier decided to go I could see service expanding to 75 flights a day or dropping down to 16 to 20.

Any guesses?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

dswiggin

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 08:41:40 pm

I've been reading some reports about the possible merger, and I think both of Indy's scenarios have about an equal chance of happening, assuming this merger comes to fruition. I'm also going to toss out that we may loose the A320/19, and B757 service and will switch to all RJ's of one type or another. I'm not knowledgeable enough to guess what that would do to pax fares, but it'd be kind of boring for spotters, for sure.

D.

7E72004

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 06:04:37 pm

AirTran Reporter

I don't mind flying through CVG on a regional jet, but i much prefer the newer Shuttle America E-170/190s (i forget which ones they have). I always get major neck pain trying to look out the CRJs!.

rw175

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 06:05:39 pm

7E72004 wrote:

I don't mind flying through CVG on a regional jet, but i much prefer the newer Shuttle America E-170/190s (i forget which ones they have). I always get major neck pain trying to look out the CRJs!.

It's the 170

Fly RW

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  NW/DL Merger - Good or bad for IND?

Pages(s):  1