Author

Indy

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:29:09 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Congratulations to Ballard for becoming the new mayor of the City of Indianapolis. I hope your future staff is focused on helping expand IND air travel options. The new IND is the gateway to Indianapolis. It is important to make it the best place possible.

The city has given endless breaks to business to encourage them to build things like hotels. I'd like to see the new administration pledge money to bring in new international service to the city. I'd like to see what this city could accomplish by offering $10 to $20 million a year in incentives to airlines to offer international service from IND. It would be a great loss leader.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 08:27:06 am

Boofer
Site Admin

Good luck getting Ballard to do anything like that. The early word is that they're going to slash everything they can - arts, economic development, tourism, etc.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 08:48:46 am

Indy
Site Admin

Early word from who? The losing team? I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to sabotage the progress this city has made over the last 10 to 15 years. If anything Republicans tend to be very pro business. I would be nervous if I were involved with the arts since that is a liberal thing but the rest should be safe.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 09:01:40 am

Boofer
Site Admin

Early word from the Indianapolis Business Journal, the head of the Indy Chamber, and members of the Marion County Republican Party. Ballard ran on a platform of cutting $70million out of the city budget. He has criticized city spending to build the Conrad, the new Stadium, and tax abatements for economic development.

Believe me, I like the guy and I'm glad to see Bart get the Boot. But Peterson was actually fairly pro-business (and that's according to the local business community) and seemed to "get it" with resepct to what Indy needs to do to grow the economy and add jobs. But voter anger over property and income tax increases resulted in a vote against Peterson, rather than a real vote for Ballard, and he may have boxed himself in with his $70 million promise.

Indy

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 09:10:12 am

Indy
Site Admin

As long as he admits his mistake I think people will be forgiving as long as he tries to do the right thing.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 09:19:42 am

Boofer
Site Admin

We'll see. But people want their taxes cut. That has to happen, period.

ATAIndy

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:16:18 pm

ATAIndy

Being in high school, I still don't know much about politics (and I probably never will lol), but I do want to add this. I don't think it was wise of Bart Peterson, a democrat, to rise taxes on an election year in a predominately red state. Did he think about the consequences of that move? Maybe he thought it wouldn't affect him.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Boofer

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 05:06:47 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I think it was hubris and arrogance.

7E72004

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 08:14:23 pm

AirTran Reporter

That just goes to show that you cannot make promises without suffering the consequences for breaking them. Bart said he would not raise taxes in his second term, but he did. I wouldn't say that is the only thing that got him voted out, but it is a big one.

Boofer

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 05:02:14 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

It's also worth pointing out that he lost all support from the police department. There are hardly any cops who respect him after he merged IPD and MCSD the way he did. They're not all opposed to the merger necessarily, but for the most part they don't like the way he organized the department under Sherriff Anderson.

And don't get me started on the Sherriff. The guy is paid more money than the governor, and for what?

Indy

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 06:09:15 pm

Indy
Site Admin

The sheriff in this county is nothing more than a glorified and overpaid tax collector. Thats all he cares about doing. Using his position to line is pockets as a tax collector since he gets to keep a percentage of what he collects. Who cares about law enforcement? Go after the taxes.

7E72004

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 08:23:21 pm

AirTran Reporter

Frank Anderson is out when his current term is up. I am looking forward to seeing how Ballard does with the city council, etc. The only Republican that i am not crazy about is Carl Brizzi.

Indy

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:23:36 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I just hope he understands that borrow and spend with the hopes of repaying the debt with tax cuts doesn't work. We don't need another DC type mess.

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Congratulations Mayor-Elect Ballard

Pages(s):  1