Author

Boofer

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:16:07 am

Boofer
Site Admin

I noticed whilst poking around on faremeasure that only 11 daily pax, on average, fly MKE to ORD. But there are 12 daily nonstops between the two airports: 6 E145s, 2 RJ 700s, and 4 CRJs. That's about 1250 seats every day. Just an interesting illustration of the difference between o&d demand and connecting traffic.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 05:31:43 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Probably because the drive from MKE to ORD honestly sucks. Also probably why MKE doesn't have that impressive of traffic numbers despite being located so close to Chicago. Its just as easy to drive to ORD from the north side as it is to MKE. And anyone outside of the north side of Chicago will still go to ORD or MDW. If you are going to drive in Chicago traffic you might as well stay with a Chicago airport and get a number of nonstop opportunities that you aren't going to get with MKE.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

stlgph

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:20:20 am

It's actually somewhat lower to fly into Milwaukee and connect through Chicago at times, than to just fly right into Chicago. I know a few people going up to the far far north side that have flown ORD-MKE and then driven back down the 45 minutes to the border or Gurnee or whatever. It's also not just airfares, but often rental cars that are often less as well.
It just makes sense at times.

Hell, I'd fly into Milwaukee sometime from Chicago. I think a 67 mile flight would be fun.

You'd spend way more time on the ground than in the air, that's for sure.

Boofer

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:45:54 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I know a guy that goes to Milwaukee almost every week. Rather than flying nonstop he takes the UA connection through ORD. Mostly he does it for miles, because the miles on UA can be used all over the world, versus the miles on YX being used only on limited routes. Which, btw, would at least be one benefit of YX being acquired by FL - access to a broader selection of destinations for YX frequent flyers.

stlgph

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:51:14 pm

If AirTran buys Midwest, it'd be a slaughterhouse of nothing but for the airplanes.

Indy

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:41:28 am

Indy
Site Admin

To me the YX/FL merger is a joke. I think most of us know what is going to happen if/when the merger goes through. Loyal YX passengers will go elsewhere for service. YX/FL combined passenger numbers will go down. MKE service will get gutted. The question won't be if it happens the question will be how long will it take.

Boofer

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:52:05 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I'll agree that the well-known quality of service at YX would go down with a FL merger. But the MKE pax will still have to fly, and if FL keeps the MKE hub and offers nonstop flights from there, they'll be able to keep most of the traffic. Most non-leisure passengers, given the choice, will choose nonstop flights first and airline loyalty with connecting flights second.

stlgph

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 03:01:59 pm

Boofer wrote:

I'll agree that the well-known quality of service at YX would go down with a FL merger. But the MKE pax will still have to fly, and if FL keeps the MKE hub and offers nonstop flights from there, they'll be able to keep most of the traffic. Most non-leisure passengers, given the choice, will choose nonstop flights first and airline loyalty with connecting flights second.

Northwest's big return!! Very Happy

Indy

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 04:35:34 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I'd love to see that happen. I'd bet me a bag of popcorn and a bottle of soda and sit back and watch the fight.

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  Interesting look at MKE-ORD

Pages(s):  1