Author

Fit2Fly

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:27:00 am

I recently saw on a WTHR news report that airport officials are currently in talks with two airlines regarding international destinations, but they declined to disclose which airlines they are. Does anyone have an insight on possibly who may begin serving the new terminal and what the possible international destinations would/will be?

Indy

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 04:43:06 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Well I'd say #1 on a very short list would be Northwest Airlines for Amsterdam service. #2 would be a carrier like Mexicana for service to a vacation destination or two in Mexico.

I feel pretty confident about #1.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Fit2Fly

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 05:41:25 pm

Yeah, I think just about everyone is pretty confident about the Amsterdam service. I feel that when/if Northwest adds this flight, pending its success, it will open up all kinds of doors for other potential international flights. You figure that landing fees and taxes are so high in nearby cities such as ORD, DTW, CVG, etc, that some airlines would rather shift operations to more cost efficient airports. Plus, throw in the excessive delays and congestion at some of these places and IND has them beat.

I think it will be pretty exciting to see what happens!

Fit2Fly

Indy

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 08:03:45 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I think once people use IND's new international arrivals they won't want to go through ORD or ATL. I think it will completely change the international arrivals experience. I don't think you'll see a great deal of scheduled service but it is possible that IND may become the airport of choice for charter service. I think it would be beneficial for their to be a high quality shuttle service in place to get people from Indianapolis to places like Cincinnati, Louisville, Chicago, etc.

I can't complain about international arrivals at DTW. That place is pretty nice. I don't know why places like ATL and DTW make their international arrivals experience to feel like you are in a basement but DTW is huge. Getting through the field inspection station is pretty fast. ORD is just a horrible nightmare. I think perhaps one of the worst I've ever been through. That is where IND has a real opportunity. We have an opportunity to succeed because we aren't ORD. We aren't the disaster that place has become.

Boofer

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:17:06 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Indy wrote:

Well I'd say #1 on a very short list would be Northwest Airlines for Amsterdam service. #2 would be a carrier like Mexicana for service to a vacation destination or two in Mexico.

I feel pretty confident about #1.

Didn't you have some info for us a little while ago that the airport was talking to an airline that wasn't currently serving IND about starting service to an international destination not currently served? I thought we had a whole thread on the subject. Based on those criteria, IIRC, we figured it would be KLM to AMS and a Mexican airline to somewhere south of the border.

Whatever the specifics, it doesn't reduce the exciting nature of the deal.

And I totally agree with you. IND can succeed by being the anti-ORD, to the extent that we can serve people who could/would fly out of IND as an alternative. Anti-CVG is already happening - it seems like every time I fly now, I have at least a few people on my plane who live closer to CVG than to IND.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:36:55 pm

Indy
Site Admin

An international arrival with a 757 is a breeze. Imagine doing this at an airport where you are the only international arriving flight. Can't ask for anything easier than that. And then to just be able to drive home after that is perfection.

Boofer

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:35:28 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Believe me, if we had a n/s flight to AMS with at least flights out on Sun and Mon and flights in on Thu and Fri, then my ass would be on that flight for every trip to Europe from now on. Schiphol is a freakin' breeze to connect in compared to EWR, IAD, ORD, or ATL. And you can get absolutely anywhere in Europe from AMS.

Indy

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:09:22 pm

Indy
Site Admin

There is just something cool about AMS. I don't know if it is the armed guards or the moving walkway with that recording "Mind your step."

Boofer

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:23:20 am

Boofer
Site Admin

The one annoying thing about Schiphol airport, though, is that when returning to the U.S., you have to get to the GATE like 2 hours before the flight for an interview. A security agent pulls each traveling party aside and asks a bunch of extra questions. That's not really a big deal. But then you have to go through an additional security screen and then wait for a long time in a cramped area. There is no chance to buy food or drink inside that area, so you just have to twiddle your thumbs until you get on the plane.

My last flight back AMS-MEM, I asked the flight crew why it was only AMS that required that. They said it was in place at LHR, too. But I haven't seen it at Heathrow yet. The other flight attendant said he thought it was because the screening of pax coming into AMS was not up to the standards the U.S. FAA needed them to be to connect and come into the U.S. So they have to do the extra screens.

Indy

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 03:07:57 pm

Indy
Site Admin

At least they don't make you take your shoes off Smile

But even with the screening once you get to the U.S. and you clear customs you still have to go through security again even though you never leave the air side.

Boofer

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 06:40:15 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

No shoes, but you gotta take off your belt in Europe, no matter how big the buckle. Whereas I never take it off in the US.

And yes, it's a double pain in the ass to clear security again upon US re-entry. I miss the good ol' days.

While we're on the topic, I'm thoroughly embarrassed by our country's unprofessional TSA agents. Every time I come back to the U.S. from abroad, I am ashamed of what I see. TSA agents are gabbing amongst themselves, shouting out commands to the travelers (Laptops out! Shoes off! There are two lines here, please move down!). They often have shirttails out, unkempt hair, etc - I've even seen a TSA agent with his uniform pants hanging halfway down his ass. Compare that to the agents in every European airport I've flown through - they're courteous, professional, dressed neatly. And they're paying attention and doing their jobs. It really demonstrates what a farce our security screening is.

Indy

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 07:04:02 pm

Indy
Site Admin

It might be a reflection of local TSA management. My visits to MCI were always pleasant. The rudeness of the agents just seems to really stand out here.

Boofer

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 08:45:58 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

And as you may know, MCI is one of only a few (four, I think) U.S. airports that were allowed to keep their own security screeners rather than handing that role off to TSA. Shows you the power of the private market versus gubmint jobs-for-life.

duck

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 02:55:19 pm

Of course, my first choice for international service for IND is a NW flight to AMS. It's a great airport, consistently ranked among the best in the world primarily for it's retail operations, not to mention connections anywhere in Europe. The new terminal is a start, but what would convince NW to add international service to AMS in IND with it's comparably new and impressive mega hub in DTW. I'm still not seeing the demand or connecting traffic for this flight to be implemented. On the other hand, NW is opening a worldclub at the new airport, the first since USair closed its hub years ago. So, that could be a sign of good things to come. I think it would take something drastic, such as a NW, DL merger. DL has a weekly flight with a 777 out of CVG to CDG, which is interesting. If they can get something like that, I think so could we.

Indy

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 04:00:41 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Hey Duck. Good to see you again. Hope all is well.

Boofer

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:29:52 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Been thinking about this topic. I think the "new airline to IND that will fly to an international destination" is much more likely to be JetBlue to the Bahamas or something like that.

Indyaviationboy

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53:27 pm

Laughing They weren't kidding when the named the airport Indianapolis International

Remote Image

Indy

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:50:50 am

Indy
Site Admin

Do the Bahamas count as international? The weird thing to me is that it seems domestic while San Juan service would seem international. I know Puerto Rico is supposed to be part of the U.S. but to me it will always be its own country completely independent of the U.S. I've been there. Feels nothing like the U.S. to me.

Boofer

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:42:53 am

Boofer
Site Admin

It may all feel strange, but the Bahamas is another country. Even though it's closer to the U.S. than Puerto Rico. And the U.S. Virgin Islands is part of our country, but the British Virgin Islands are a separate country. And even though they're the 51st State, Canada is technically another country, too. Very Happy

Boofer

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:56:48 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Anyone heard anything more about this? I was reading about VivaAerobus's application to fly from GYY to Monterrey, Mexico. Maybe this airline would be the one to fly new international routes from IND.

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  New International Airlines and Destinations

Pages(s):  1