Author

RDU-JFK

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 01:26:20 pm

Hi all,

I found out about this site from a post from one of your members on NYCAviation.com which is a NY spotting site. THis is a great site! I like all the topics especially the hostorical airlines.

Anyways I'm looking to take a daytrip somewhere and was wondering how feasible it would be to visit Indianapolis for a day (fly to IND) without renting a car. Is there stuff to do downtown? Can I walk around to get places? I really want to see the RCA dome.

Any info is appreciated!

Matt

ATAIndy

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 05:08:38 pm

ATAIndy

Matt,

Welcome to the boards, they aren't as busy as NYCA, but it's home to some of us, lol.

First off, I want to say that mass transit in Indianapolis is a joke, but don't worry, you can get pretty much anywhere you want to go downtown by walking. The trip from the airport to the city center is about fifteen minutes, and I suggest you take a taxi. You can also go to www.indygo.net/, the bus system website. There is plenty to do downtown in Indy. I suggest the soldiers and sailors monument and circle center mall. Also, a bit farther out of downtown are the NCAA Museum, the Indiana State Museum, and the White River Gardens. Also, if you like racing, the Hall of fame Museum at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a must. I hope this is a good start.

Welcome again,
John

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Indy

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 05:56:10 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Hey Matt. Honestly renting a car in Indy is pretty cheap. But you can take a bus downtown. IndyGo started an express bus service from the airport to downtown. Its a few bucks. Nothing major. Only problem with the foot approach this time of year is our weather. It would be hit or miss. Take this weekend for example. Our highs for Saturday and Sunday will be in the teens with a Sunday morning low of around -5F. I'd say an April visit would be more enjoyable.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

RDU-JFK

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 07:40:35 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure when I'm going to come out but I'll keep you posted. Does anyone know if they give tours of the RCA dome?

Skippie

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 03:36:29 pm

I'm not sure about tours at the dome but if that what you're wanting to see you should get here pretty soon. The Dome is coming down in the spring so they can expand the convention center

"Just because you didn't make your payments doesn't make me a bad person"
!Carpe Roti!
"You can run,and you can hide, but eventually we'll get your ride."

Forum Index  >  Things To Do  >  Visiting Indy (New to Site)

Pages(s):  1