Author

Indy

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 01:16:22 am

Indy
Site Admin

There is a very interesting story on IBJ about the idea of turning Monument Circle into a pedestrian only area. Personally I love the idea. Having been to Europe on many occasions I am very familiar with the concept. They are extremely popular there and I think would be extremely popular here as well. Some people will object but honestly why would you feel a need to drive through the circle? Drive one street over. Is that such a big deal?

http://www.ibj.com/html/detail_page_Full.asp?content=19921

For those not familiar with the concept here are some examples.

Remote Image

Remote Image

Remote Image

I think having the area would be great for downtown. You can park and go over to Monument Circle and do a little shopping maybe and then walk over to the City Market and maybe buy some fresh produce. The two would help each other out.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Indy

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 01:19:15 am

Indy
Site Admin

Oh lets not forget that Circle Center mall is right there as well.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 02:27:07 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I am totally for this idea as well. And it's not just Europe where this is successful. Minneapolis has Nicollet Mall. San Antonio has the Riverwalk (OK, you couldn't drive a car there if you wanted to, but still). Think about how much more you could do with Monument Circle if it weren't for the cars - you could have artisans and craftspeople with pushcarts; you could have small theatrical or musical performances; you could have more festivals; you could even move the farmers' market outdoors during summer Saturdays.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Forum Index  >  Things To Do  >  Monument Circle As Pedestrian Only?

Pages(s):  1