Author

Indy

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:10:10 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Here is the map of the new midfield terminal. Interesting setup of the security checkpoints. One thing I notice is what looks like a walkway between the concourses so you can go through either checkpoint and still get to your gate.

Midfield Terminal Map

Image Title: Midfield Terminal Map

Posted by Indy on 07 Nov 2007 10:54 pm.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

rw175

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:28:05 am

Let's hope. In this day and age of codeshares and alliances, it would be moronic of them not to have designed a way for people to pass between the concourses. I used to work for AirTran as a gate agent, and I guess Continental was selling tickets for people to fly to Indy and connect onto Northwest to go elsewhere because several times in Concourse C I would have Continental passengers run up to me on their way out of C and ask me how to get to Northwest's gates to catch their flight. They of course were always upset when I told them that they would have to exit the concourse and go through security again to get to NWA.

Fly RW

ATAIndy

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:23:24 am

ATAIndy

I hadn't seen a layout before now. Thanks for posting it. It looks to me as if you can't shop in the civic plaza after passing through security. Does that mean connecting passengers will not be able to access the main shopping area without going back through security?

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 08:57:20 am

Boofer
Site Admin

The design reflects an interesting decision that was made. Do passengers shop when they're waiting for flights? Or do passengers and non-passengers shop at the airport regardless? By that, I mean - what is the better source of revenue - passengers waiting for flights after they've gone through security? Or passengers with enough time to kill as well as people waiting to pick up arriving passengers?

I think the people who do the shopping at the airport are those who are waiting for their flights or connections. I, as a very frequent traveller, prefer to get to the airport, check in, and clear security first, because you never know how long that's going to take. Then, I might do a little shopping if I have time to wait, especially if I have a special occasion coming up (like someone's birthday) or if I've been away for a little while and want to get something for the kid. I NEVER want to go back through security, because it's such a pain in the ass to come back through again.

So the decision to put the main retail areas landside (prior to security) reflects the thinking that most shoppers will browse before clearing security. I don't know, maybe I'm atypical.

I've been in a lot of airports around the world (77 to be exact), and all except for the smallest of them have a big focus on retail. European airports tend to be especially "retailed." Particularly Copenhagen, which I found to look more like a shopping mall that happened to have airline gates. Most of this airport shopping grew up during a time before the European Union, when duty-free shopping was really a big deal. Taxes were quite high, especially on liquor, cigarettes, and imported luxury items. Also, when you flew out of a European country, it was most likely you were leaving the country, so nearly all the flights were "international" and made you eligible for duty-free shopping. So most passengers in the airport were looking to shop and would spend time before their flights doing so. Now most of these airports have shopping before and after security, but nearly all have it concentrated after passport control, at the very least, and full security in many cases. A big, multiterminal airport like AMS has lots of shopping on both sides of security, with the duty-free after passport control.

So having said that, I think the new IND design simply copies the fact that the existing terminal has most of its retail outside of security. I think it would be more successful to put it airside - after security. If you look at the larger U.S. hub airport, most of them put the shopping airside. MSP, EWR, PIT, ATL, DEN, and ORD all come to mind. Pity IND didn't see this as a design flaw, too.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 09:05:31 am

Indy
Site Admin

If you put it in the secure zone that means only traveling passengers can shop. People dropping off passengers and picking passengers up won't have access. Honestly I don't like our current air side retail. I think it has clogged up the concourses too much taking away what was already limited space and seating. The new concourses will be about as wide as the concourse in DTW. And they've done quite well with retail there. Perhaps there will be a similar retail configuration. I'll have to look at the map again to see.

Indy

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 09:07:20 am

Indy
Site Admin

Ok looking at the map again there looks to be plenty of air side retail just like in dtw. Assuming the bluish color is consistent through the design where it reflects retail.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 09:12:32 am

Boofer
Site Admin

And honestly, unless IND were to join the big leagues of airports, it's not going to be that huge of a retail operation anyway. There will be plenty of places to spend money, for sure, but not like AMS or LHR. I just hope we get an airline lounge or two.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 09:17:48 am

Boofer
Site Admin

I'm a little disappointed in the design at the ends of the concourses. Five gates at the end maximizes the number of planes that can use the airport. But in other airports, including the current IND terminal, it always gets so crowded down on the ends where there are multiple flights boarding in an area that's only as wide as the rest of the terminal. Think of either end of ORD terminal C. And it never fails that you have 4 or 5 flights all leaving at once, so the overhead PA announcements tend to muddle together, too. They should have widened the ends into pyramid shaped sections or a t-shaped area or something. To lessen that, hopefully the airlines in those spaces will use those gates strictly for small planes, to minimize the numer of people waiting in the congested areas.

And I know the design had to leave room to extend the concourses eventually...

Indy

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 06:01:53 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Honestly I don't think the ends are going to be all that bad. The last part of each concourse has 8 gates. The last part of our current A concourse has 4 jet bridges but NW parks 8 jets and shares the jet bridges. So the end of current A gets as much activity as the end of the new terminal. Big difference though is the new concourse will be much wider. I'm thinking 50 or 60 feet wider. I'm guessing the ends of each new concourse will have 2500 to 4000 extra square feet of space compared to the current concourse A. I was down at the end of the DTW concourse on my last trip and didn't see any real problem with the setup.

7E72004

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 06:42:26 pm

AirTran Reporter

I agree. I have been thru DTW before when multiple flights at the end of the A concourse were boarding. It was crowded, but it was not such a "cluster f*ck" as you would find in the current IND terminal.

Indy

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 06:51:36 pm

Indy
Site Admin

The outside facing concourse walls are very high in the new terminal. I wonder if they could add elevated seating areas? Or perhaps have a cafe style setup with the little round tables and 3 or 4 seats per table. You could sit there and maybe have a drink and a snack while you wait for your flight. It wouldn't have to be big. Maybe the design wouldn't allow it for whatever reason. Just a thought.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:01:07 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Speaking of second levels, do you know how the international arrivals gates are to be set up? My assumption would be that the jet bridges at the international arrivals gates would be set up such that deplaning passengers would be routed upstairs, then over some kind of walkway and eventually into the arrivals hall/passport control/customs. Most newer terminals at smaller airports like RIC and SAN have this kind of setup.

Indy

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:28:53 am

Indy
Site Admin

If I remember correctly from the executive summary the passenger will exit the jet bridge normally but instead of walking on the concourse there will be a small enclosure with two choices. One takes you out to the concourse. The other down the stairs to customs. So then it becomes as simple as locking one door and unlocking the other.

7E72004

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 08:25:04 pm

AirTran Reporter

When the time comes to open the new terminal, WIll they block the airport expressway entrance and divert traffic to the new terminal? I could see a lot of confusion, which i am sure is not abnormal Smile

ATAIndy

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:39:06 pm

ATAIndy

Are you kidding? I'm sure it will be all the media talks about for a week before it opens and a week after it opens. They're going to exhaust the subject, I can feel it now.

Indy

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:49:41 pm

Indy
Site Admin

And how many tickets got written for trucks driving through the super 70 project? People don't pay attention.

ATAIndy

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:05:29 am

ATAIndy

Most trucks going through super 70 were probably from out of state. How would they know? I doubt their media reports on Indianapolis interstate construction.

Indy

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:26:18 am

Indy
Site Admin

ATAIndy wrote:

Most trucks going through super 70 were probably from out of state. How would they know? I doubt their media reports on Indianapolis interstate construction.

There were signs everywhere Smile

And with this new terminal I can just see some bonehead dropping off a departing traveler at the old terminal despite it being completely empty and the poor passenger walking around with this sinking feeling that his/her best friend is an idiot. lol

Boofer

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 04:54:04 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

It will be a gargantuan task to shift from the old terminal to the new. The airport officials will have their hands full moving operations over without missing a beat. If some idiot pulls up to the old terminal, it'll be their own damn fault.

Forum Index  >  The Project  >  Midfield Treminal Map

Pages(s):  1