Author

Indy

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:56:35 am

Indy
Site Admin

I have a new trip coming up. This will be my first ever trip to SAN. I had an option to to fly IND-LAX-SAN but I didn't want to change airlines in an unfamiliar airport. I still get one more pin for my map Smile. Since my flight leaves at 6:45am and doesn't get back to IND until super late I won't get to take any pics here.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:08:47 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Have a good time. SAN is awesome - the city, that is. Actually, the airport is kind of nice, too. It's laid out a little like I think the new IND terminal is going to be, with a two-wing format.

I'll be crossing ZRH off my map in a few weeks. And possibly LCY or LGW.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:17:02 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I can say with absolute confidence that I am NOT looking forward to that 6:45am departure. Anyone else going to be around the airport bright and early Monday morning?

Boofer

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:21:30 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Not this Monday. But I've taken the CO 0545 departure to IAH many times. It sucks to wake up that early, but the airport is nice and quiet, and the security lines are nonexistent at that time of day.

Indy

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:42:39 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Oh yeah. Subway for breakfast again. lol

Boofer

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:50:09 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Clif Bars. Way better for breakfast, and you can stuff a few in your bag.

Indy

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 04:30:05 pm

Indy
Site Admin

As I am getting ready to post a new trip I realize I didn't post anything on this one.

To me there is nothing fun about getting a flight this early. When I arrived at the NW ticket counter it wasn't even open yet. I believe it opened a few minutes after I arrived in line. Since mine was the first flight the line went pretty fast. I don't really care for the self serve check-in think NW has going on. If you have the staff there anyway why not just have them do the check-in? They are taking my bag anyway and making sure its tagged and checking my ID. The new process to me just seems a bit silly. Either make it self serve or full serve. Not some messed up hybrid.

I was early for that first flight which meant TSA had not opened as well. So there was another small line to stand in. I think I had about a 5 minute head start on them. The morning flight to DTW was on time and uneventful. The load was light and I had nobody sitting next to me. The DTW to SAN flight however was a different story.

DTW-SAN left on time. The load was 100% for that flight. Actually I think it was overbooked. The flight was about 4hr 30min long and the in flight food was a cheap buy-on-board box of crap. Thats the best way I can sum up what I got for $5. It is sad that they cannot offer something a bit better on a flight that long. It is what I'd expect to be able to buy on board a 2 hour flight. The first half of the flight was smooth but as we approached the Rockies the flight got a bit rocky. The view was great though. Approach into SAN was very eventful. We were landing during the big fire storm. There was smoke and fires everywhere and the very strong Santa Ana winds made the approach more like a thrill ride.

To me the San Diego airport reminds me of something you'd see in Florida. Just had that kind of style to it. The place isn't bad. But they are seriously painted into a corner there.

The return trip was nothing special. Fortunately it wasn't a 6am departure. I had an empty row to my self. That is always nice when you have a little room. Again SAN-DTW was a 4 hour flight. First class got served a proper lunch. Coach was offered the choice of purchasing $5 worth of horse feed. We did fly over that giant impact crater out in the desert somewhere. I managed to snap a picture of it. That was cool and unexpected. I think the pilot about overshot the landing in DTW which is amazing since the weather was great. The arriving gate number was less than 10. My departing gate number was greater than 70. But since I had time to kill I decided to walk it. It really does take a long time to get from side to side. I get to my gate and the flight is late. Great. Then it gets in and they try for a quick turn around and there are mechanical problems to deal with. Nothing major. Just crap like an issue with a seat and a clogged galley sink. At least the toilet wasn't clogged. You'd have to have some serious digestive issues to clog a plane toilet.

Honestly by that time I was so tired that I don't really recall much of the DTW-IND flight except that we ended up flying at a relatively low altitude because of turbulence at normal cruising altitudes for that route.

If you are going to fly IND-DTW-SAN-DTW-IND make sure to bring real food because animals get fed better than what you get in coach on a flight that long.

Forum Index  >  Trip Reports  >  IND-DTW-SAN-DTW-IND Oct 22-25 2007

Pages(s):  1