Author

Indy

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 04:49:59 pm

Indy
Site Admin

A new cargo hub is coming to IND. This is a good move for all.

"A new Indianapolis logistics firm is developing ties to a Mexican port to try to steal business away from the clogged port of Long Beach, Calif., as well as from Chicago, the inland jumping-off point for much of the cargo.
Transpoint LLC, a startup that received $2.3 million in government incentives in August, was represented Monday as Mayor Bart Peterson hosted a delegation of Mexican businessmen and government officials from the port city of Lazaro Cardenas."

It seems as if most of this will be trucking even though it will be run out of the old American Trans Air facility at the airport. Here is an important note in the story...

"Peter Witczak, Transpoint's CEO, said the new route could cut five days from the typical 17 from Long Beach to Chicago."

This is what the city and local businesses need to focus on more. They need to use "Chicago" against Chicago. Instead of letting the name be an asset to them they need to turn it around and point out what a major liability it is. Chicago = expensive and slow. Indianapolis is a cheaper and quicker alternative.

This very concept needs to be used in passenger travel and more importantly international travel when the new terminal opens. You can fly in to ORD and deal with a zoo that is their international arrivals or come to Indianapolis and have a much more pleasant and convenient international arrivals experience. The best thing is we aren't Chicago. We aren't that mess that Chicago has become.

Story Source: http://www.indystar.com/apps/p...SINESS/510110391/1003/BUSINESS
Indianapolis Star

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

duck

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 09:13:19 pm

While I agree on points that Indy made in regards to Indianapolis being marketed to cargo and logistics businesses as a better alternative to Chicago, I have contention to the point that Transpoint LLC is good for IND. Some may be under the impression that any business is good business, and that does have some validity, however I don't think this business is appropriate for the facility that it now leases from the IAA and its $2.3 million in government incentives. First, Transpoint LLC may be a cargo company, but thus far has no air cargo even though it is at an airport. It exclusively transports its cargo by truck to a nearby railyard. I belive this valuable property adjacent to a major airport with direct airfield access would be better utilized for a air cargo or aircraft maintenance facility. Secondly, I think the government incentives were to generous given the scale of this company's operations here. I understand this company could grow and that we are developing relationships with other countries in this global economy and showing the world that Indianapolis can be a viable cargo and logistics center in its own right, not to mention an alternative to other more congested centers. Call me crazy, but I just think that the airport should be reserved for aviation use.

Indy

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 02:12:52 am

Indy
Site Admin

Ah I assumed it included air freight. I mean what is the point of having ground only services at the airport? Seems like a huge waste of real estate.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Forum Index  >  IND News  >  New Cargo Hub Coming To IND

Pages(s):  1