Author

Indy

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:13:25 am

Indy
Site Admin

I was going over the stats that are available through Feb 2006 and US Airways numbers are up significantly. They are up 63.3% over the same time last year. Their numbers including the merged company America West puts them only 21,000 passengers behind Northwest for the #1 rank at IND. I'll update this when newer numbers are available.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Indy

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 02:16:55 am

Indy
Site Admin

BTW the 63.3% increase from Feb 2005 to Feb 2006 comes as IND's overall traffic for the same period was down 11.9%. I'm curious what US has going on. Anyone remember this story from June 5, 2005?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/p...D=/20050605/BUSINESS/506050304

"I think Indianapolis will have a hub within three years," Vasey said. "What US Airways is missing is the ability to push Ohio Valley traffic west. If you look at the region stretching from Chicago to Pittsburgh, Indianapolis is sitting there as the perfect place for someone to set up a perfect hub."

That quote came from the person that was a consultant to US Air in their PIT dehubbing plan.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 03:24:53 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Is it possible that this is just US Airways getting back to some level of traffic that they had here pre-bankruptcy? And if their traffic was up while the airport's overall traffic was down in the same period, then at least one airline had to have declining traffic during the period - who was it?

I don't recall the Star article, but it's interesting. Depsite the quote you pulled out, though, it's important to note the article's prediction of growth in point-to-point service over hub service. Also, note the America West spokesperson's denial of any interest the airline has in establishing a midwest hub.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Forum Index  >  US Airways  >  US Airways Traffic Up Significantly

Pages(s):  1