Author

Boofer

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:30:21 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

http://www.airportbusiness.com....jsp?siteSection=3&id=8362

This is ultimately good for IND. IAD was the last airport in the DC area with relatively little competition from here. After Independence Air went tits up, UA jacked the fares into Dulles. This will keep things nicely in check for the whole DC area. It will also offer much more choice for people trying to get to other areas of rural VA, WV, and MD. On a dark note, though, it may mean tough times for airports such as Charlottesville, Staunton/Shenandoah Valley, and Hagerstown. The latter two hardly have any service left at all. Charlottesville will probably do OK as there is a fair amount of biz travel, but it will suffer from low-fare options at both Richmond and Dulles. It's all kind of like the impact IND has on Fort Wayne, South Bend (with Midway's effect too) and Lafayette (no more service!).

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

wanderer

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 08:02:42 pm

it may help United cut the fares a bit....but you still have to connect on SWA, rather than the UA direct flights. There is always a premium for that. Sad

Quick question: How long has it been since Lafayette had service?

Boofer

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 04:07:51 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

wanderer wrote:

Quick question: How long has it been since Lafayette had service?

LAF lost their NW service to DTW as of Dec 18, 2002. Corporate Airlines, which is now RegionsAir, was going to fly LAF-STL as AA connection with some financial help from the economic development folks. But I don't know if they ever did, and if so, I don't know when it ended.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

stlgph

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:43:57 pm

AA Connection came on board into Lafayette in the fall of 2002 and service went bye bye with the Oct. 2003 hub reduction.

Forum Index  >  Southwest Airlines  >  Southwest to Begin Service from Dulles

Pages(s):  1