Author

Indy

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:57:30 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Effective Oct 1st, 2008 BDL-AMS is toast. Honestly I think NW should have used a little more sense and ran that route out of IND where it has its largest operation outside of its 3 domestic hubs.

DTW-DUS is also gone effective Oct 1st. That one comes as no shock. I was on DUS-DTW when the load was maybe 50% and I was flying on a $450 ticket.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080626/20080626006201.html?.v=1

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:50:26 am

Boofer
Site Admin

No one likes to fly international routes on a 757. That, friends, is the problem with the loads. CO's flights to small European cities on 757 are running slightly better than 50% average. It's just too small and cramped for an 8+ hour flight. You'll get people to fly them for the right price, or if they're serious business travellers who can go over to Europe for just 1 or 2 days. But most pax, business travelers included, will go to Europe and fill a whole week with meetings and sales calls to make the trip worth it. When you're going for a whole week, you have the ability to pick flights on comfortable, widebody aircraft even if it means an extra connection. Last trip of mine, I could have flown IND-EWR-HAM-EWR-IND, but instead chose IND-DTW-AMS-HAM-AMS-MEM-IND. And, in fact, I specifically chose flights on the A330 instead of the 747, because of the more comfortable seats and the AVOD system. And for that matter, when connecting - you can choose any number of combinations on any number of airlines. I could have also chosen IND-ATL-CDG-HAM or IND-IAD-FRA-HAM or IND-ORD-CPH-HAM or IND-JFK-LHR-HAM, etc.

The 787 can't come soon enough.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 03:10:47 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I was on the DTW-DUS and DUS-DTW flight and I had no issue with the size of the jet. I felt it was nothing special either way. The con was that a single aisle made boarding a little slower and the pro was baggage claim and customs was a breeze. My flight from DTW to DUS was booked solid. DUS to DTW was about 50%.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Forum Index  >  Northwest/KLM  >  NW Axes BDL-AMS

Pages(s):  1