Author

Boofer

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:05:50 am

Boofer
Site Admin

It's pretty clear from the executives' comments that CO/UA will happen as soon as the DL/NW merger goes through. Let the speculation begin! This is a pretty clean merger, actually. But the CLE hub is toast. Just no need for it when you've got ORD in your arsenal. Sucks for the state of Ohio, actually - it's very likely they'll lose hubs at both CVG and CLE, and of course Skybus for what it's worth is no longer in business at CMH. Lots of airline-related job losses in Ohio over the next 2-3 years.

I'm also interested in what will happen with CO Mike. It's a great little sub-airline, actually. Perhaps they'll expand service out of both HNL and GUM.

The nice thing about CO/UA is that neither airline really has a lot of super-old aircraft that need replacing. So they won't have to invest as much in equipment as DL/NW. With those two, NW has to replace all the DC-9s, and DL needs to replace the MD-80s. CO has a relatively young, all-Boeing fleet. UA has a pretty good long-haul fleet and a lot of Buses for domestic mainline flying.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 08:27:22 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I personally don't believe a word DL says. CVG for sure will go the way of PIT. MEM is a toss up. It will likely be dehubbed as well. All this BS from Delta is to get approval. Once they merge I see two hubs going up on the chopping block.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 07:38:35 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Indy wrote:

I personally don't believe a word DL says. CVG for sure will go the way of PIT. MEM is a toss up. It will likely be dehubbed as well. All this BS from Delta is to get approval. Once they merge I see two hubs going up on the chopping block.

Exactly. Go to the merger website and you can pull up nearly every state to see the benefits of the merger to all those airports/communities. You can't start talking about removing hubs at CVG and MEM or the congressional delegations from Ohio and Tennessee will do everything they can to block the merger to "protect high-paying jobs back home."

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Forum Index  >  Continental Airlines  >  CO/UA now very likely

Pages(s):  1