Author

Indy

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 09:27:50 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I'm checking their end of summer schedule and this is what they have. Five destinations and 12 flights.

ATL 4x
MCO 3x
TPA 2x
RSW 2x
LAS 1x

I wonder how long it will be until LAS is dropped.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

ATAIndy

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 09:41:07 pm

ATAIndy

Indy

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 03:17:16 am

Indy
Site Admin

Well now we know where the jets are going. I think we can officially say they gave up on IND.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=712021

Looks like they are going to run the routes out of MKE. Will this be the last season for LAX and SFO for FL out of IND? Will they drop the routes before they even start? I guess NW won here again.

ATAIndy

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 04:09:32 pm

ATAIndy

Wow, you betrayed us Airtran. Getting our hopes up and then what? You go to MKE? They already have a full-sized hub! Well good riddance you good-for-nothing...low life...
Ok, done with my rant. Mr. Green

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

Indy

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 04:33:41 pm

Indy
Site Admin

What how fast they come back in NW and DL merge and they gut service here. But it is for that reason I think NW/DL will keep their schedule beefed up here. You don't want FL, F9 or B6 setting up a hub in this region of the country.

7E72004

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 06:07:39 pm

AirTran Reporter

From what it looks like, FL is not going to be much of a player at IND as of late August. For a time, it looked like they were going to do a pretty good set up at IND.

ATAIndy

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 07:01:08 pm

ATAIndy

But, why did they decide on MKE? Do they see YX as a easier target than NW? (Which I would have to say is true.) I'm just wondering if they will further cut service here in IND to just ATL and Florida.

Why do my favorite airlines end up going defunct??

http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=16657
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8779
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/

7E72004

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 06:42:38 pm

AirTran Reporter

I think now that FL is currently occupied with building up MKE, the IND "operation" is going to probably go to the absolute bare minimum. They will keep the ATL flights and a few to Florida, but unless the MKE expansion falters, i don't see IND being that high on the priority list.

Indy

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 06:57:27 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I think NW is going to go for the kill now.

7E72004

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 07:10:46 pm

AirTran Reporter

Watch NW add service to ATL from IND...that would be one of the shockers *lol* Especially if the DL/NW talks are breaking down.

Indy

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 07:49:51 pm

Indy
Site Admin

NW already offers IND-ATL for sale through a DL codeshare. You can book it on nwa.com.

Boofer

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 02:13:14 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

The writing is on the wall for these small "regional" airlines - and I don't mean regional jet airlines or express carriers like Chatauqua or Skywest. I mean full-line carriers that are regional in scope: Midwest, Airtran, Frontier, Alaska, JetBlue. With the likelihood of a DL/NW merger and now a CO/UA merger, these smaller carriers have to merge to stay alive. I can see Airtran making another run at a takeover of Midwest. But better yet, they should look to merge with Frontier. Actually, can you imagine a combination of Frontier, Alaska, Airtran, and Midwest? That would make a pretty formidable airline. If there were a management team that could successfully integrate those four carriers into one, they could wring out a ton of savings and use that to expand internationally. Anyway, without getting too far off topic, I just see Airtran needing to merge here. MKE isn't going to provide the midwestern base that they really need, and YX will defend their home turf to the death. YX already killed the NW focus city there. Another thought is that as NW and DL merge, YX will have to drop their codesharing arrangements with NW, and maybe that provides an opening for FL to enter. In addition, if there is a NW/DL merger, you can expect dehubbing at CVG (leaving a focus city there - kind of like US did at PIT) and probably at MEM, too. That would leave an opening for FL to make a run at CVG. Heck - the airport folks in Cincy would be ecstatic to have FL come in and replace DL if the place is dehubbed.

My spidey senses say that I'm starting to ramble now, so I'll stop there... Razz

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 02:25:25 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I don't know if FL can go at YX again. I don't think they are a public company anymore. They are part of another group. I think FL would have to buy that group and they certainly can't afford that.

I honestly think I will submit an objection to the NW/DL merger when it becomes open for public comment. I think it is bad for the industry and bad for consumers. It is certainly bad for a few cities. If the airlines reduce capacity it will weaken them and make them vulnerable to LCC expansion. So that doesn't seem likely. The likely scenario is that these mergers are decided to be anti competitive. We'll see inferior service and higher prices.

FL won't expand here. They really can't expand here anymore. I think NW has pretty much killed that possibility. That is exactly the kind of thing a NW/DL merger is designed to do. I don't believe for a minute the intentions behind this merger are honorable.

Boofer

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 03:04:12 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

Indy wrote:

I don't know if FL can go at YX again. I don't think they are a public company anymore. They are part of another group. I think FL would have to buy that group and they certainly can't afford that.

I honestly think I will submit an objection to the NW/DL merger when it becomes open for public comment. I think it is bad for the industry and bad for consumers. It is certainly bad for a few cities. If the airlines reduce capacity it will weaken them and make them vulnerable to LCC expansion. So that doesn't seem likely. The likely scenario is that these mergers are decided to be anti competitive. We'll see inferior service and higher prices.

FL won't expand here. They really can't expand here anymore. I think NW has pretty much killed that possibility. That is exactly the kind of thing a NW/DL merger is designed to do. I don't believe for a minute the intentions behind this merger are honorable.

I certainly respect your opinion on the motivations for the legacy mergers. But you're dead wrong about one thing - the mergers won't be blocked by the FTC for anticompetitive purposes. The government has been actively encouraging this consolidation. It's tantamount to a preapproved merger. In an environment where BA, AF/KL, and LX are looking hungrily and vast expansions into the U.S., the feds don't want a bunch of airlines lining up to enter bankruptcy court again soon.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 03:15:23 pm

Indy
Site Admin

There really is nothing left for the carriers to file bankruptcy on. They've already screwed the employees as much as they can. Only thing left is to start heavy liquidation of assets and thats how it should work. Let the weak die off.

I am going to take a trip in either late spring or early summer. It was going to be on NW. I think it will instead be with F9. I've been meaning to check them out. If this merger happens I will have a reason to.

7E72004

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 06:33:15 pm

AirTran Reporter

I don't see FL expanding much more here in the foreseeable future. It will be interesting to see what happens if a DL/NW merger happens...that would give the combined airline about 12 or 13 gates.

Forum Index  >  AirTran  >  AirTran Reduced IND Service?

Pages(s):  1