Author

Indy

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:05:07 pm

Indy
Site Admin

AirTran seems to keep the number of flights in and out of IND at about 16 daily. They never really seem to go anywhere beyond that. I wondered why that was. They lease 2 gates and use two as common use. I think I know why now and if this is accurate I think it is sad that we are pricing an airline out of the market.

Back in November 2005 this was a quote from the airport authority meeting minutes.

APPROVAL OF THE FIRST AMENDMENT TO AGREEMENT AND LEASE OF PREMISES WITH AIRTRAN AIRWAYS: Upon a motion by Mr. Voorhies, seconded by Mr. Callahan and unanimously passed, approval was given to the First Amendment to Agreement and Lease of Premises with AirTran Airways. The Amendment provides for the addition of a Baggage Service Office, Gate C2, and associated areas for an annual revenue increase of $419,677.02.

Just recently AirTran leased two additional gates in MKE. The annual rental increase was $78,000. Do you see a problem there? These are similar size markets and similar airports yet the rent here seems much higher than MKE. I feel that if these numbers are correct that the city is being denied an opportunity.

Any thoughts on this?

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Boofer

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:17:59 pm

Boofer
Site Admin

I dunno. I'd always heard IND was a low-cost airport to operate from. Maybe MKE's rent is so much lower but their landing fees are much higher? Or other fees, perhaps? It doesn't make sense that IND officials would be so obtuse as to shoot themselves in the foot with out of market pricing.

Can I get a peanut crumb with that thimble of Coke?

Indy

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:34:13 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I am sure the landing fees here are very favorable for large jets considering who the #1 customer is. I wonder how favorable they are for mid sized jets? I'd love to see how IND compares to MKE. I know just the person to ask on airliners.net Smile

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Forum Index  >  AirTran  >  IND pricing AirTran out of expansion?

Pages(s):  1