Author

Paintrain

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 06:48:48 pm

I noticed on Wikipedia that Ind is now larger than CVG will that trend continue or will cvg recover with a new airline like Southwest or Spirit?

Indy

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 08:07:45 pm

Indy
Site Admin

I think CVG is in a world of hurt. They have a lot of infrastructure to support so that is going to keep their costs very high. They have gates that will likely never be used again.

Food4Geeks.com - Even Geeks Like To Eat.

Fit2Fly

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 01:14:37 pm

CVG looks to be heading down the same road as PIT. Traffic still remains low and the airport a ghost town even with the arrival of Southwest. Delta has since added a flight to CDG but from what I've heard, the loads are questionable. Isn't Proctor and Gamble still subsidizing seats for Delta's CVG-LGW route?

Statistics show that a good number of travelers in the CVG area often flee to IND or even SDF for cheaper fares. God forbid something were to happen to P&G as that would heavily cripple CVG's air traffic. I can honestly see SDF topping CVG in the near future if they haven't already.

It's been said that back in the 80s, Delta had initially wanted IND to be their midwest hub instead of CVG but then-Mayor Stephen Goldsmith refused to offer tax breaks.

FedEx

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 07:29:33 pm

fit2fly will delta become a hub at IND?

Fit2Fly

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 07:44:55 am

Highly unlikely. But then again, anything is possible with the airlines these days.

Indy

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 03:18:33 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Honestly I would say there is no chance of DL hubbing here. I mean they just closed CVG and DTW has that great facility not far from us. I think our best and maybe only chance of ever having a hub would be with JetBlue and they don't even fly here.

Fit2Fly

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 04:50:27 pm

Indy,

I had also heard a rumor of Virgin America exploring the option of establishing a hub here. People figure it'd be a great gateway for travelers on opposite coasts trying to fly into other parts of the US.

Indy

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 07:00:38 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Where did you hear the VX rumor? Honestly I can't imagine them ever serving IND let alone make it a hub. But I could be wrong. IND just doesn't fit the profile of a typical VX city.

Fit2Fly

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 07:38:43 am

Well, you'll probably laugh Laughing . But it was from a TSA supervisor at the airport. He was telling me that Richard Branson had been sneaking into Indy quite frequently about a little less than a year ago and was touring the terminal and meeting with airport officials. Someone "in the know" told him the meeting were regarding VX service and the exploration of a possible hub if their numbers are high enough provided they begin serving INDY.

Again, this was from the good ol' TSA so take it with a grain of salt. Wink

Indy

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 03:38:21 pm

Indy
Site Admin

Branson came to Indy a while back to speak at some convention. I know when I heard he was in town that VX was the first thing that came to mind. Apparently it was unrelated to aviation.

Forum Index  >  General Discussion  >  IND VS CVG

Pages(s):  1